Choosing the Best Merchant Processing Service for your Business
The wide world of merchant processing can be murky and unclear for a business owner. Like every other aspect of your company, you’re always striving to maximize your growth and profitability and minimize your spend to get there. Choosing the right merchant processing service can be a big contributing factor to cutting on costs and maximizing your growth in sales. A few of the top dogs in the industry include: Paypal, Stripe, Flagship Merchant Services, Square and Merchant One.
PayPal offers credit card processing to all types of businesses. Whether you run credit card transactions in person, online, on the go or all of the above, PayPal’s credit card processing solution can work for you.
- Designed specifically for small businesses and startups
- Budget friendly pricing
- Pay-as-you-go terms.
- Wide known company with good customer service
One thing to keep in mind is if you’re growing exponentially and need to process a large amount of sales, Paypal won’t let you exceed a certain amount, which can be limiting when it comes to growth.
Stripe is known to be easy to set up so that your store can start processing credit card sales right away.
In a nutshell:
- Customizable with applications and plugins which lets you tailor the service suite to meet your business needs.
- Flat monthly pricing, so you know exactly what you’re paying.
- Compatible with WordPress, where you can connect your website to Stripe easily.
This merchant processing software overall looks like a great option for most businesses, you just need to decide if it’s worth the cost.
Flagship Merchant Services
Flagship Merchant Services is a flexible service where you’re offered month-to-month terms. With tiered pricing you can pick which level works best for your company, but it also means the fees aren’t completely clear.
Boasts expertise in:
- Handling high-risk merchants with high volumes of online, over the phone and mail in orders.
- Flagship was one of the first of the traditional merchant account providers to offer free account setup, with no application or account setup fees.
- Among the first to offer true month-to-month contracts, with no early termination fees for closing your account.
While very few merchant account providers charge account setups fees anymore, the absence of an early termination fee (and the long-term contract that goes with it) is still relatively rare among the larger providers, and it’s still one of Flagship’s most attractive features.
Square is the better known and best-rated service in mobile credit card processing. It’s an easy program to use when your business is on the go or where you can plug in the card reader directly into your phone or laptop and process payments over it’s easy to use app.
- Square is the best merchant for new or mobile businesses thanks to the low 2.6% + $0.10 per-swipe fee.
- Has more free tools compared to other processors.
However, large high volume businesses should consider a dedicated merchant account. Square is for the business that is turning their iPad into a POS system at your checkout counter.
Merchant One prides themselves on providing merchant services and solutions for an extremely diverse customer base. This allows them to have the expertise needed to grow your business, from your first brick and mortar, to your international ecommerce shop. However, when going on board with Merchant One you’re signing up for a 3 month contract which is much less flexible than their competitors.
Your merchant processing company must fit your needs.
What you needed in the first five years of your start up period may be different now as you’ve grown exponentially. Find a merchant processor that’s both scalable and easily integrated into your current software solutions. Omni-channel platforms, like INFOCU5’s Resolution, allow customers to keep all of their favorite integrations in one centralized place, bringing a boatload of transparency to all of the data and metrics that are associated with driving results.